Joshua L. SchwartzJosh is an experienced employment and workers’ compensation litigator who represents public and private employers of all types and sizes. Josh has defended employers against claims brought under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act, the Family and Medical Leave Act, the Pennsylvania Human Relations Act, the Pennsylvania Wage Payment Collection Law, the Pennsylvania Workers Compensation Act, and the Pennsylvania Unemployment Compensation Law, among others.
Josh devotes a significant portion of his practice exclusively to defending employers in workers’ compensation matters and has argued before the Pennsylvania Supreme Court in this context. He is the current chair of the Lancaster Bar Association Workers’ Compensation Section and speaks frequently to employers and insurers regarding the Pennsylvania workers compensation system.
Josh also counsels employers on issues related to employee discipline, termination, workplace harassment, wage and hour compliance, and compliance with federal and state laws like the Fair Labor Standards Act, the FMLA, Title VII, the ADA, the Fair Credit Reporting Act, and numerous other employment laws.
Josh is a 2005 graduate of Columbia Law School, where he served as Articles Editor of the Columbia Law Review. Before joining Barley Snyder in 2008, he was an associate at Williams & Connolly LLP, where he litigated in a wide variety of areas, including commercial disputes, RICO, antitrust, consumer production, immigrant asylum, and First Amendment protections.
- Columbia Law School, J.D.
- Muhlenberg College, B.A.
- District of Columbia
- New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York, and U.S.
- District Court for the Southern District of New York
- Law Clerk to the Honorable Jane R. Roth, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit (2008-2009)
- Law Clerk to the Honorable Paul S. Diamond, U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania (2005-2006)
Publications & Speaking EngagementsPennsylvania Employment Law Deskbook, contributing author