Michael Mixell is a member of Barley Snyder’s Business, Trusts & Estates, and Finance & Creditors’ Rights practice groups. In his practice, he advises a broad range of clients in the areas of corporate succession and estate planning for family-controlled businesses, as well as banking and commercial, corporate, and real estate matters. Mike has extensive experience with mergers and acquisitions for privately controlled businesses and nonprofit entities. Mike also represents commercial and nonprofit lending institutions in a broad range of business and financing transactions, including loans financed through the Pennsylvania Industrial Development Authority (PIDA).
Mike also has extensive experience in estate and trust administration, including the representation of various financial institutions in trust and estate matters. He also represents a number of corporate trustees of special needs trusts, including Orphan’s Court matters in connection with special needs trusts and guardianships.
Read about Mike’s recent representative transactions:
- Represented a multi-state beauty products distributor in the sale of its assets to an international manufacturer, while preserving related lines of business for the family to continue the business after the sale.
- Helped broker the sale of a high-tech manufacturing company in northcentral Pennsylvania to a national competitor. He then counselled the seller in subsequent estate and trust planning to manage the substantial proceeds from the sale.
- Represented two minority shareholders of a central Pennsylvania manufacturing business that was sold to an international competitor. He then was able to preserve the business relationship with the competitor and the selling company for other related businesses owned and operated by the family.
- Assisted the founder of an eastern Pennsylvania food manufacturing company in setting up a donor-advised fund with a local community foundation. The foundation provides broad-based charitable support to the manufacturing facility’s local community.
- The Best Lawyers in America, “Lawyer of the Year” for Trust & Estates, 2022
- Rated AV Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell
- Select Lawyer, Polk-Lepson Research Group; Business and Commercial Law
- The Best Lawyers in America, Trust & Estates (2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022), Closely Held Companies and Family Businesses Law (2022)
- Joseph L. Kramer Award 1983 – Dickinson School of Law
- Million Dollar Advocates Forum
- American Bar Association
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Berks County Bar Association
- “Upcoming Changes in the Title Insurance Industry”, Re/Max of Reading; Signature Abstract Title Company (July 2015)
- “Business Succession & Wealth Transfer: Considerations of Death, Taxes and Achieving Family Harmony”, Barley Snyder Business Seminar (October 2014)
- “Preparing a Business for an Eventual Sale (to Maximize Value and Minimize Stress)”, Barley Snyder Business Seminar (October 2013)
- Berks County Estate Planning Council
- Pennsylvania Bar Institute Seminars