Kathy is a partner at Barley Snyder, the chair of its Health Care group and a member of the Litigation group. In her 25 years of practice with Barley Snyder, Kathy has served as counselor and problem-solver for health care providers throughout central Pennsylvania, including hospitals and physicians, nursing homes, assisted living facilities, hospices, home health and home care agencies. She regularly defends health care providers in significant malpractice litigation and before the licensure boards.
Kathy uses her broad based expertise to guide providers through both every day problems and more serious issues, always with an eye toward future prevention. Experience has honed Kathy’s ability to find practical solutions to difficult problems without running afoul of regulations. Kathy has also worked with providers to create event evaluation processes which preserve relevant privileges to the greatest extent possible.
Kathy assists clients through all phases of policy making, including preparation, review and implementation in virtually all areas of health care practice. Kathy understands the importance of clarity and simplicity in policy making, and the need to incorporate what the review bodies need into a process which is functional for the provider.
Kathy has been defending health care providers in litigation across Central Pennsylvania throughout her entire career, including the most serious of cases involving adult brain injury and birth injuries. Her diverse health care practice gives her insight essential to effective representation of the providers in litigation and in the courtroom. Kathy also understands the stress these proceedings bring to the providers involved, and she is skilled at soothing nerves and bolstering confidence in the process of trial or deposition preparation. She puts these same skills to effective use when fostering licensed providers through a Department of State investigation and/or complaint.
Kathy counsels clients on a variety of health care issues, including:
- HITECH and HIPAA
- Red Flag Rules/Identity Theft Prevention
- Mental Health Laws and Procedures
- POAs, Advance Directives, and Guardianship
- FDA Internal Review Board Regulations
- Abortion Control Act Compliance
- Policy Making
- Corporate Liability
- Informed Consent
- Risk Management
- State Board Licensing and Investigations
- DOH Regulations
- JCAHO credentialing
- Event Reporting and Patient Safety
- Defense of Malpractice Claims
- Secondary Payor Reporting
- Criminal Background Checks
- Child Abuse Reporting
- Protective Services Act
- Allied Health Provider Law and Regulations
- American Health Lawyers Association
- American, Pennsylvania and Lancaster Bar Associations
- Advance care planning seminar, panelist (April 2019)
- Advance care planning seminar, panelist (April 2018)
- “End-of-Life Decisions. What do you want?”, National Healthcare Decisions Day (April 2015)