Jake is an attorney in the firm’s Business and Real Estate practice groups with vast experience in the areas of business succession and transactions, real estate, and estate and trust matters.
In his business practice, Jake represents small business and farm clients, commercial real estate investors, medical and dental professionals, and other business clients. His representation includes a wide array of legal matters including business formation and operation and asset acquisition. Jake also represents clients in various real estate transactions ranging from purchases of preserved farmland to commercial and industrial properties.
Particularly, Jake has extensive experience successfully negotiating favorable solar and other alternative energy leases on behalf of landowners across Pennsylvania. He has presented seminars and podcasts regarding solar energy development and leasing practices for various organizations. As an invited panelist before the Pennsylvania Senate Agricultural and Rural Affairs Committee, he has provided testimony with respect to solar industry leasing practices and the impact of solar development on prime agricultural land.
Jake also represents clients with their estate planning needs, whether simple or complex, and has represented financial institutions serving as estate and trust fiduciaries with respect to various issues arising in trust and estate administrations.
Prior to joining Barley Snyder, Jake was a partner in a mid-sized Harrisburg law firm. Jake resides in York County with his wife and their two children. He enjoys fly fishing and fly tying, playing guitar, Penn State wrestling, and Philadelphia sports. Jake is an active member of Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church in Hummelstown and is a member of the Church’s Congregation Council. Jake also serves on the Lycoming College Alumni Association Executive Committee and the LutheranHANDS Foundation Board of
PUBLICATIONS & PRESENTATIONS
- What happens when the sun sets on a solar farm? It’s hard to say, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette (April 2, 2023)
- Solar Leases: Landowners Beware, Pennsylvania Association of Realtors (February 21, 2020)
- Solar Energy and Leasing Agreements, Pennsylvania Farm Bureau Farm Focus Podcast (April 23, 2021)
- Navigating the Leasing Process of Utility Scale Solar in Pennsylvania: Negotiating the Terms of a Solar Lease, Pennsylvania Farm Bureau and Penn State Extension (September 8, 2021)
- Hearing on Utility Scale Solar Development and Agricultural Land in Pennsylvania, Pennsylvania Senate Agriculture and Rural Affairs Committee (September 21, 2021)
- Evaluating Key Contract Terms When Leasing Your Land for Solar Energy Development, Penn State Extension and Cornell Extension (March 16, 2022 and March 23, 2022)
- Estate Planning with Solar Leases, Penn State Extension and Cornell Extension (July 26, 2022 and August 23, 2022)
- Legal Aspects of Utility Scale Solar Leases: Lease Options and Agreements, Pennsylvania Bar Institute (November 18, 2022)
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Dauphin County Bar Association