Don is the chair of the firm’s Cybersecurity Service Team and chair of the firm’s Finance practice. He also serves on the firm’s technology committee and as the firm’s Chief Privacy Officer.
Don first became involved in cybersecurity initiatives while he was a law clerk with the Office of Naval Research, U. S. Department of the Navy, in the late 1990s. Currently, Don advises business clients on a broad range of cyber, tech-related, and privacy matters, including employee and board training, data breach coaching and support, cybersecurity/privacy compliance and auditing, counseling, transactional support and contract review. Don has particular experience advising financial service organizations, healthcare organizations, and managed IT service providers. Don is an active member of the International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP) and is a member of InfraGard (a partnership between the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the private sector for the protection of U.S. Critical Infrastructure). Don is a frequent speaker on the topic of cybersecurity and privacy, with recent presentations given to the Pennsylvania Bankers Association, the National Association of Corporate Directors, the Pennsylvania Institute of Certified Public Accountants, the Association of Corporate Counsel, PA Manufacturers’ Association and the World Trade Center-Harrisburg. His recent cybersecurity projects include:
- Representation of global digital event management organization in connection with GDPR-related privacy and security compliance.
- Representation of accounting and consultancy firm in connection with regulatory compliance and related vendor management.
- Representation of entertainment touring production company in connection with applicability of cybersecurity standards and regulation.
- Representation of public utility organizations in connection with incident management and data audits.
Don’s vast finance experience involves both institutional and private financing, including representing lenders and borrowers in complex commercial lending, syndicated/participated transactions, and multi-party loan restructures and work-outs. He is the immediate past chair of the firm’s Creditors’ Rights Practice Group. His recent finance and creditors’ rights transactions include:
- Representation of a worldwide, multi-division service organization in connection with a $50 million syndicated loan financing from a group of national financial institutions.
- Representation of a national banking association in connection with its restructuring of a $40 million line of credit to a national food product manufacturer.
- Representation of a state-charted bank in connection with its $19 million working capital line of credit to a national public housing developer.
Don also has an extensive Securities practice and assists existing companies, start-ups and real estate ventures as well as helps funds with private debt and equity offerings and the associated registration, exemption and “Blue Sky” requirements. He also works with a variety of business clients on mergers and acquisitions, buy-sell agreements, shareholder relations, and is frequently engaged on general corporate matters. His recent securities and M&A transactions include:
- Representation of real estate syndication group in connection with its various mobile home park and self-storage capital raise strategies.
- Representation of senior living developer in connection with its multi-phased securities offering.
- Representation of real estate syndication group in connection with a multi-stage securities offering to support its multi-family investment property projects.
- Representation of a regional, agribusiness vendor for its acquisition of local competitor.
- Representation of a regional accounting firm to acquire a competitor.
- Representation of regional commercial construction contractor to acquire a strategic partner.
- Best Lawyers “Lawyer of the Year” in Harrisburg – Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law (2023)
The Best Lawyers in America, Mergers and Acquisitions (2019, 2020, 2021, 2022), Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency and Reorganization Law (2021, 2022, 2023), Commercial Finance Law (2021, 2022)
Central Penn Business Journal,Forty under 40 List (2010)
- IAPP Certified Information Privacy Manager (CIPM)
- Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP/US)
- “Cyber Security and Liability”, York County Economic Alliance (October 2020)
Panelist: “Embracing Change & Preparing for the Future”, 2019 Reading Business Seminar (October 2019)
- Panelist: “Embracing Change & Preparing for the Future”, 2019 Harrisburg Business Seminar (October 2019)
“Navigating the Legal Intricacies of Cybersecurity”, Business Espionage Morning Forum (June 2019)
“Cyber Threats and CEO Fraud”, Lancaster Chamber (April 2019)
“Legal Tech Talk for Your 21st Century Business”, BIG U 2018 (May 2018)
Board Oversight of Risk Management (Cybersecurity), Pennsylvania Bankers Association Annual Convention (May 2018)
The Board’s Role in Risk Oversight and Cybersecurity, NACD (October 2017)
“Current Trends in Commercial Lending”, LendiCon 2017 (March 2017)
Loan Participations: Whose Loan is it Anyway?” , Pennsylvania Bankers Association Annual Lending Conference (October 2016)
“Doing Business in the Digital World (and Cloud): An Overview of Risk, Applicable Laws and Policies Relating to Information Security”, Barley Snyder Business Seminar (October 2015)
“Jolley v. Chase Home Finance Are Lenders Facing New Threats in Lender Liability Claims?”, Barley Snyder LendiCon Seminar (March 2015)
“Doing Business in the Digital World”, ACC Seminar: What Keeps You up at Night? (September 2014)
“Loan Participations: Whose Loan is it Anyway?”, Barley Snyder LendiCon Seminar (November 2013)
“Doing Business in the Digital World”, Barley Snyder Business Seminar, (October 2013)
“Bankruptcy Preference Claims and Their Defenses”, ACC Seminar: What Keeps You up at Night? (September 2013)
“Collection Toolbox: Secured Creditor’s Edition”, Barley Snyder LendiCon Seminar (November 2012)
“Information Security: Policies, Processes and Technology,” Barley Snyder Business Seminar (October 2011)