Sal Anastasi is a patent attorney and chairs the firm’s Intellectual Property Law Group. He counsels clients on all aspects of intellectual property, including domestic and international patent preparation and prosecution and intellectual property litigation. He prepares and prosecutes U.S. and international patent applications in the electrical and electromechanical arts including communication systems, control systems, optics, software, business methods and Internet-related technologies, and also prepares and prosecutes trademark applications. Sal litigates intellectual property matters and prepares licensing agreements, patentability, trademark, validity and infringement opinions.
Examples of Sal’s work in the intellectual property arena include:
- Prepared legal opinions of patent invalidity to clear new electrical products for sale for a $30 million project for a client.
- Won a preliminary injunction to stop a patent infringer from making marine pilings protecting $10 million + pier contracts and bids for our client
- Worked with engineering teams in the electronics and manufacturing industries to design around patents and patent portfolios, avoiding charges of patent infringement.
- Assisted client in defending and settling a suit for copyright infringement involving mission critical software.
- Assisted artists in enforcing copyright rights in their art work.
- Negotiated settlements between parties and in formal ADR for patent infringement suits, trademark infringement actions and copyright infringement assertions.
- Counseled clients in the manufacturing and electronics industries in building IP portfolios, enforcing them and using them as levers in negotiation to drive settlements in subsequent litigation.
Sal works with clients ranging in size from small family businesses to large, multi-national companies, in a wide variety of industries, including the automotive, electronics, communications, medical device, fiber optics, software, agriculture, machinery, manufacturing and tool industries, among others.
Prior to joining Barley Snyder, Sal was a patent attorney with The Whitaker Corporation/AMP and Tyco Electronics. In addition to his legal experience, Sal’s professional experience includes work as a practicing engineer in the electrical and electromechanical fields.
- Daily Local News, Best Lawyers 2021 Readers Choice Awards (2021)
- Main Line Today, “Top Lawyers Around the Main Line and Western Suburbs” (2021)
- Pennsylvania Super Lawyers (2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021)
- Pennsylvania Super Lawyers (2014 Corporate Counsel Edition)
- Philadelphia Life’s 2012 Awesome Attorneys for Intellectual Property Law
- Pennsylvania Rising Stars (2005)
- Martindale-Hubbell BV Rated
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- American Intellectual Property Law Association, Harmonization Task Force member; Professional Programs Committee, board member; former board member, former chair of the Public Education Committee, former chair of Law Practice Management Committee, AIPLA Fellows
- American Bar Association, Intellectual Property Law Section; Harmonization Task Force, chair; Patent System Policy Planning Committee, chair
- Chester County Bar Association
- “Patentable Ideas & R&D Tax Credits”, RKL’s Manufacturing and Distribution Growth & Profitability Forum (September 2018)
- “Intellectual Property Update – AIA Provisions and Patent Trolls”, ACC Seminar: What Keeps You up at Night? (September 2013)
- Penn State University, Lecturer
- Temple University, Adjunct Professor